[Advaita-l] DATE FOR SRI RAMA NAVAMI

M. S. Ravisankar ravi at ambaa.org
Fri Apr 2 10:58:16 CST 2004

As quoted in the last part of the text (PDF file), it is best to celebrate
on sudhha chaitra maasam, shukla paxa, navami thithi with punarvasu naxatra
during madhyAhna kaalam. But in the case of smArta-s, tithi takes precedence
over naxatra. That portion of the text is quoted in the both samxepa dharma
shaastram (which I have) with tamil translation.

Differences, between smArta and shriivaishNava schools also occur based on
tithi vs naxatra (not just determination of tithi). shriivaishNava
sampradayam, has leanings towards sauramana -- for them (often) naxatra
takes precedence. Even their ramanuja jayanti is based on naxatra, and for
us shankara jayanti is based on tithi.

Typically you see this even today in how birthdays are celebrated by tamils
(smArta-s, shriivaishNava-s) and the rest. Assuming one is born in
sauramanaa miina maasa, uttarashhaaDa naxatra (chandramaana phaalguNa maasa
k-navami). Typically, who follow chandramaana will observe it on phaalguNa
k-navami, for them naxatara is secondary. On the other hand, sauramaana
people will go by naxatra.  Sometimes, both coincide.

This year in the US, 29th madhyAhna had both navami and punarvasu naxatra.
That was the ideal date for rAma navami. And it was so marked (correctly) in
the calendars I had.

My 2c. I may be wrong.

Ravi