[Advaita-l] Sankaracharya

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Apr 9 00:31:21 CDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Ravishankar Venkatraman wrote:

> Unfortunately this tradition is from Sri Sadasiva Brahmendra Saraswathy
> Swamigal (acknowledged to be the biggest mystic in several centuries by all
> Sankaracharyas and other yogis). This is at least 400 years old.

Personally I do think that Kanchis' claim to be one of the original even
the central Math established by Adya Shankaracharya is not tenable.
However you are right that the lineage of sannyasis whose names end in
*indra Saraswati is older.  There is literary evidence for atleast 400
years as you mentioned.

However...

> What matters is how much Kanchi mutt works for the
> preservation of Vedic Dharma.

...this I agree with 100%.

> Can you find evidence that Dwaraka mutt was established before 2500 years?
> Please try selling your idea that Adi Sankara was born after Christ to His
> Holiness Dwaraka Sankaracharya and let us know what His Holiness thinks
> about it.

By the way, I also don't agree with the Dwarka maths figures either (which
incidently contradict some of their own earlier publications which
acknowledge the 788-820 AD date) so this is not just a matter of party
politics for me.

Much of history is murky enough that any number of things can be claimed.
So we should be careful not treat speculations as facts especially when
it's not relevent to the purpose of Advaita Vedanta.