[Advaita-l] time of yogins for salvation

Ramesh Badisa badisa55 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 12 15:22:16 CDT 2004

Dear respected members,
Namaste. I will be grateful to you if you could through some light on the
following question:

In Gita 8/23 Lord Krishna mentions different times, at which leaving of
physical body, a yogi does or does not return to the world. In 8/24, the
various names, like agni, jyothi, day etc denote the deities associated with
them in order to guide the departing soul on archiradhi marg. In this sloka,
the time denoting terms are uttarayanam and dakshinayanam, if I am correct.
However, these names are also designated as the names of deities that help
the departing soul on this path. It means that all names of 8/24 denote the
names of various deities. In that case, where is the question of time
refered for yogis? When there is no time reference mentioned in this sloka,
how come the Brahma Sutra IV.2.21 says that the time or other details are
concerned only for yogis who follow yoga and sankhya systems.

Namaste

Ramesh B Badisa