[Advaita-l] Re: Notes on sha.nkaras usage of vishhNu, iishvara, etc.

Raghavendra N Kalyan kalyan7429 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 14:09:52 CDT 2004

Namaste SrI Balasubramainan-gaaru,

I appreciate your timely post driving home the most important vedAntic concept that all forms of saguNa brahman are the same. You also wrote -

>Now the question may arise, that everything is a
>product of avidyaa, so why are hari, iishvara, etc.,
>given prominence over, say, a brick? The answer is
>that
>in the realm of avidyaa, each of the pramaaNas hold
>their sway in their respective spheres. With respect
>the various forms such as hari, etc., the method of
>meditation and the fruits of such meditation, (chitta
>shuddhi, brahma loka, etc), the shruti-smR^iti
>pramaaNa-s alone hold. Meditation on iishvara cannot
>equal meditation on a brick.

Is the above valid for someone who "has just heard" (not yet realized) that everything is brahman?

What about meditation on everything as the non-heterogenous brahman for such a person?

Thanks and Regards
Raghavendra