[Advaita-l] fundamental (dis)qualifications - beginner's paradox

Sanskrit Beginner sanskrit_beginner at unlimitedmail.org
Sun Aug 15 08:29:19 CDT 2004

Namo namah:

 Thanks to all who responded.
 I did get a few mails that I was not polite or was
offensive. My public apologies. I was merely voicing my
thoughts as they came, and no offence is/was intended. I
promise to be more thoughtful and word it better next time.

> It is the case with all darshana-s. For instance, in in
yoga, they say that
> you should attain perfection in yama and niyama to succeed
in subsequent
> steps. But it does not happen that way (for most people).
Some degree of
> progress in steps like prANayama etc. enable one to attain
some perfection
> in  yama and niyama. It is a highly nonlinear process. But
when they say
> perfection in yama and niyama is required, it means that
sAdhaka should be
> intent on that. Swami Vivekananda touches upon this subject
in one of his
> talks.

 Thanks for the explanation. I guess what this is asking for
is more a form of commitment to the process to (or intention
to) cleanse oneself and prepare oneself? If so, gives a
little bit of comfort on one hand to feel that one is not
totally abandoned. Yet, it raises some unsettling other
thoughts, in the sense, if even the first sentence needs help
with interpretation to understand, progress would be slow. If
I were to perhaps raise questions on this list, I hope I
would be pardoned if the members feel it is regurgitation or
too simple ....
 References to Swami Vivekananda's talk would be help ful. I
have found his English and writing approach have been
excellent!

> If you look at the list archives, you will see we had a
similar discussion
> on prerequisites for studying brahma suutra, etc.

 Will do, thanks.

> (We have a standing list policy that members should
restrict themselves to
> two posts per day. Please try to adhere to that).

 My apologies. Will adibe by it.

Dhanyavaadah:

Message sent from the
Unlimited Mail Free Services Platform.