[Advaita-l] shiva pUjA

Sanskrit Beginner sanskrit_beginner at unlimitedmail.org
Sun Aug 15 09:02:06 CDT 2004

Namo Namah
 Thanks for your references. I have requested the local tape
shop for copies of these recordings.

 Thanks also to the post suggesting I read the Shiva
puranam.  I found a four volume series in English. Seems an
onerous task to finish reading it all. Have not yet found any
adbrided version yet.

> c) If you search our archives, you will find some nice
posts on panchAyatana
> pUja by Sri Ramakrishnan Balasubramaniam. As he points out
in one of those
> messages, typically shiva is invoked as somaskanda
parameshvara (with umA
> and skanda).  Rama also wrote an article on shiva
panchAyatana pUja.
> Typically most pUja vidhAnams will include at least one
type panchAyatana
> pUja. You can get procedural details from there. In my
view, taking up any
> formal pUja is a commitment and it is better to consult the
elders in your
> family before embarking on it.

 Could not find the one by Ramakrishnan, but found one by
Jaldhar
http://www.escribe.com/religion/advaita/m7450.html ... gives
a good idea of how it can be permutations and combinations.
  I was told something like offering even a bilva with water
to the idol of shankara was better than fasting or other
austerities. Hence the urge to start something. The
panchaayatana puja seems quite a formal one. Does one need
initiation from a priest before starting this, like any other
japa?
 I have also found from my visits to certain temples in the
North vs. those in the South of India, that north indians do
everything themselves, including sometime kissing the idol.
South Indians don't seem to do that thing, and prefer a
priest instead ... any reasons why the process is different?
 On a perhaps related note, I have heard that buying vibhuti
(or tripundra) from the store is not good, and that one must
either perform yagyas at home or go to a priest and get it
from their house. I have approached a few priests and they
say they use the store bought ones themselves!! Is the rule
to use an orthodox form of vibhuti a strict one?
 (thanks to Vidhyashankar for the reply on karma - helped me
understand approximations)

dhanyavaadah:

Message sent from the
Unlimited Mail Free Services Platform.