[Advaita-l] adhyArOpa apavAda - An Unique Method of Teaching

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Dec 1 18:07:20 CST 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com wrote:

> Further to subject mail, Sri Jaldhar prabhuji & Sri Sunder Hattangadi
> prabhuji have kindly provided the references from paiNgaLOpanishat for
> adhyArOpa apavAda. Here it is for the ready reference for the members :
>
> //quote//
>
> (a)  Sri Sunder Prabhuji's reference:
>
>              Paingala upan. 2:10   -
>
> adhyaaropaapavaadataH svaruupa.n nishchayiikartu.n
> shakyate .
> tasmaatsadaa vichaarayejjagajjiivaparamaatmano
> jiivabhaavajagadbhaavabaadhe pratyagabhinnaM
> brahmaivaavashishhyata
> iti .. iti dvitiiyo.adhyaayaH .. 2..
>
> [A dialogue between Yajnavalkya and Paingala.]
>
> (b)  Sri Jaldhar Vyas prabhuji's reference :
>
> I assume you mean paiNgalopaniShad?  It is II.12.
>
> tadAsadgurumAShritya chirakAlasevayA bandham mokSham kashchita prayAti |
> avichArakR^ito bandho vichArAn mokSho bhavati tasmAt sadA vichArayet |
> adhyAropApavAdataH svarUpaM nishchayIkartuM shakyate | tasmAt sadA
> vichArayejjagajjIva paramAtmAno jIvabhAva jagadbhAva bAdhe pratyagabhinnam
> brahmaivAvashiShyata iti ||

It looks like there are two different recensions of this upanishad.
however as you can see, the text dealing with adhyaropa apavada is the
same in both versions so we can be fairly sure it is a genuine Vedic text.
This upanishad is said to belong to Shuklayajurveda and there is in fact a
Paingala shakha in the Shuklayajurveda.

It's a boy! See the pictures - http://www.braincells.com/nilagriva/