[Advaita-l] Dharma

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 13:56:26 CST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:12:36 +0530, Kiran B.R. <kiran.br at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Shankara's commentary on BG 6.1 contradicts what you have said before
>
> So?

If you do agree with Kartiks assessment, then obviously it is not
material suitable for this list. After all, the lists purpose is to
discuss vedaanta as taught by sankara and his followers. One may
dispute that someone is not being exactly faithful to sankara (example
vimuktaataman) and prefer to stick to sankaras works. For example many
followers of Sri Satchidaanandendra regularly contribute very good
articles to this list. That is quite acceptable and is a valid
view-point ***based on the texts of Sankara***. We can certanly have
discussions, even if we do not agree with each other.

But when we directly contradict sankara and even accept it, why even
discuss it on *this* list? There may be better forums to discuss about
the general state of India and so on. But this list is not it. That
should be fairly obvious from the FAQ for the list!

> > The former PERFORMS WORKS such as agnihotra with detachment to its
> > fruits, while the latter DOES NOT PERFORM WORKS such as agnihotra. This is > such a FUNDAMENTAL distinction that it makes no sense to interpret it as you

Thanks!

Rama