[Advaita-l] RE: Dharma

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 15:54:36 CST 2004

>I'm not advocating for this. I'm advocating for action for the sake of
>improvement without the guilty feeling of doing something stupid
>vis-a-vis mOkSha, thinking "mOksha comes through sitting in the cave
>and giving up all work".

The straightforward resolution to this debate is to look at adhikAra-bheda.
There are those who need to act, but you also have to acknowledge that there
are those who have transcended the need to act. And there are those at an
intermediate stage who are in the process of gradually withdrawing from
action - SanaiS Sanair uparamed buddhyA dhRtigRhItayA. No true advaitin
advocates inaction through laziness or through fear of action. That would be
nothing but tamas. What we uphold is the ultimate supremacy of the state of
no action, where action is transcended. That is beyond tamas, rajas and
sattva.

Vidyasankar