[Advaita-l] Idea of Namaskaram

Navin Rajaram navinr at moschip.com
Wed Dec 22 10:32:46 CST 2004

Hari Om,

S Jayanarayanan wrote:

>However, there are problems when unequals are treated as equals in any
>society. It may not be that there exists a special "conceit" in people
>occupying high positions, but only that the position the person
>occupies is to be respected. For example, when one honors an
>individual's achievements, one ought to applaud that achievement and
>treat the individual with special honor. In this case, treating them as
>equal to dogs is a grave sin, and not to be tolerated. Similarly, a man
>convicted of a crime ought to be punished, and there is no harm in
>treating him with severity as a convicted criminal deserves. Treating
>him as equal to an innocent man is simply wrong. These are false ideas
>of equality, and is the "tumult" being referred to in the
>jIvanmuktiviveka.

I was probably confused by the lines "Therefore, one ought not to show
equal respect to all jIvas when in the presence of those who possess
conceit". The context, as you point out, might mean giving special
respect to those who occupy a high seat of honour on account of
achievements. All namaskarams are diverted to Iswara and both the doer
and the one before whom the doer prostates divert the offering to
Iswara, as you rightly point out.

In this context, the late Kanchi Periyawal Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati
speculated
"On the other hand, the case of the person performing the namaskara
appears a blessed state. Blessed in which sense? When he lowers his body
and prostrates before another person whom he considers a saint, he also
"pushes" a load off his mind as it were, in the belief that the other
person will take care of that. Namaha is sometimes itself interpreted as
the meaning of "Na Mama" (not mine") - that is pushing away something as
"not mine". A true namaskara will always be in this attitude only. Most
people do not perform such true namaskaras. As I said earlier, there are
cent per cent and pass mark types. Even in a pass-mark namaskara, at
least for that fraction of the moment during the actual performing of
the namaskara, he feels a relief. This is what we notice daily. I lost
this "blessing" to prostrate before another and to enjoy the feeling of
lightness and relief in just remaining in the namaskara posture, at a
very young age. The position (sthanam) robbed me of the blessing.

The "bhagya" of experiencing such a feeling of becoming light through
namaskara was taken away from me at a very early age. When the dignity
of a position is weighing me down, how to become light?  In my case
(meaningfully he stresses on "my") I got two special "unlucky prizes".
What are the two unlucky prizes? There is a general rule that a junior
sannyasi should do namaskara to a sannyasi who is his senior. The senior
and junior are not determined by age of the person. It is reckoned on
the number of vyasa poojas performed. Every sannyasi has to perform
vyasa pooja in ashada pournami. If supposing one person became a
sannyasi at age 20, he would have performed 10 vyasa poojas by the time
he reaches the age 30. If another person took sannyasa at 55 when the
earlier person was only 25, then he would have performed five vyasa
poojas only by the time he is 60 and the earlier person is 30. If they
both meet at some time, the 30 year old sannyasi with more vyasa poojas
will be the senior and the 60 year old sannyasi will do namaskara to
him.... After I became a sannyasi, I have met a number of sannyasis with
more vyasa poojas to their credit; even then, I did not do namaskara to
them but the opposite happened. Reason, the title of Jagatguru! Even
though I understand the title as meaning that the entire jagat is my
guru, in common practice I have to act according to the law of the mutt
which ordains that "the entire jagat is sishyavarga of the Jagatguru and
namaskara to the sishya is not even to be thought of. Therefore, I could
not do namaskara to sannyasis who were otherwise senior to me.