[Advaita-l] Namaste

Ramesh Badisa badisa55 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 27 12:46:07 CST 2004

Dear respected members,
Namaste.

I will be grateful to you if you could explain me the following doubt from
Brahma sutras:

Yoginah prati cha smaryate smarte chaite [IV. 2. 21 (517].

Does this sutra indicate that the time mentioned in Gita 8/23 – 24 slokas
apply to the yogis of ashtanga yoga and sankya yoga only?

The ashtanga yoga also refers to meditation on divine, and these people,
after divine realization would attain immediate salvation (sadho mukti).
Similarly, sankya yoga, according to Lord Krishna (Gita 3/3) is related with
the path of Gyan. Therefore, the followers of sankya yoga also
attain immediate salvation. The persons who practice either of these yogas,
the pranas are merged in the divine immediately upon the death of physical
body. They can die during daytime or nighttime or any time in the year. They
will merge in the divine (salvation) immediately. This is
my under standing.

However, regarding to this reference, it was said that the time mentioned in
Gita 8/23 – 24 slokas only applies to people of astanga yoga and Sankya
yoga, but not to people who meditate on saguna Brahman (Brahma Sutras,
Shankara Bhasyam by Swami Sivananda ji). It means that the saguna Brahman
worshippers can die at any time in the year and be on the gradual salvation
path as indicated in 8/24 (solar path), while for the astanga yoga and
sankya yoga followers, the time denoted in 8/24 will apply to be on the
solar path.

My confusion is that while both astanga yoga and sankya yoga pay the way for
immediate salvation, why was it said in the above bhasyam that the time
denoted in 8/23 –24 slokas of Gita are only meant for these yogas?

Namaste

Babu