[Advaita-l] RE: doubt

venkat krishnan krish_venks at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 17:40:56 CST 2004

Dear Sri Krishnamurthy,

Thanks a lot for your reply. As before, I have a few doubts. Please do
clarify.
1) Aparoksha JnaNa -This is knowledge of what ? The doubt is because,
supposing a person does experience the Brahman, then theoretically speaking,
how does the person himself even know that he has experienced Brahman ?
Have Sri Shankara or Sri Ramana decribed their experience of moksha though
any prose or works?

2) What did Sri Shankara mean when he said the"world has no existence" ? Was
he denying the world per say, or did he just mean that its
temporary/ephemeral(but real all the same) ? Did he just mean that the
everlasting soul is permanent while the BMI is not, but the BMI is real all
the same.
Wouldnt it also attribute a desire on the part of Brahman to exhibit
variegated-ness vis-a-vis the real axistence of a material world??
Continuing the line of questioning , if the material world is real(even
though ephemeral) and if we accept the Vedas as the breadth of "God", and
also that the Vedas exist for our own benefit, wouldn't that attribute
kindness on the part of Brahman ?

quote--
"Brahma and Vishnu and Shiva are only physical manifestations of the
Absolute Reality that is brahman.  Just as you and I are. Except that, they
not only know they are such manifestations but can switch back and forth to
their Brahman-being and their physical forms. Except that, they not only
know they are such manifestations but can switch back and forth to their
Brahman-being and their physical forms. Theoretically, this is the answer.
But to the question: “whether they exist, like you and me existing”, I have
no answer except to tell you that great people like Shankara have behaved as
if they exist. That is enough of a proof for me as far as question 1 is
concerned. "
unquote--
3) "Sri Shankara behaved that "they" existed", is the reason I got the doubt
in the first place.
For, there is a certainly a difference between "Behaved" and believed". I'll
take it to be believed, since you say that is proof of their existence. But
the question now arises, if you say "they existed", what do you mean by
"they". For aren't Vishnu,Brahma etc the very Brahman..if they are, then
what does the plurality of names/forms suggest?
   If you say that these are manifestations of Brahman(and which are
conscious of that), which can switch back and forth from Brahman being,
wouldn't that attribute action to Brahman ?

These questions have been posed not in the mood of an arguement/debate, but
strictly to clear my own doubts. So kindly do answer them.

sincerely
krishnan