[Advaita-l] RE: Ananda, Chaitanya

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 2 12:50:39 CDT 2004

>Sringeri Math tradition says that for Brahmacharis the title is Chaitanya
>and upon Samnayasa it is Ananda.

Not so, with respect to Ananda upon saMnyAsa. Ananda is an optional portion
of the first name that is given to the newly initiated saMnyAsin. The title
is one of the ten daSanAmI suffixes, i.e. bhAratI, araNya etc.

>But this does not seem to be followed even in Sringeri.   While anyone who
>gets Samnyasa from Sringeri is givne the title of Ananda.....the Acharyas
>themselves perse have not adhered to this suffix of Ananda.   Right from
>the Adi Acharya to the present one.

My deduction from the traditional reports is that the ten name system
evolved over a short period of time after Adi Sankara. The titles of the
first few AcAryas from the Sringeri list are not known, only the given
names, e.g. sureSvara, jnAnaghana etc.

>Why ?
>
>Further, is there any brahmacharya inititation by that Math other than the
>Upanayana, i dont know.   if there is a one like that, do they award the
>title "chaitanya" ?!

This title of caitanya is meant for those who opt to remain naishThika
brahmacArins, without getting married but also without taking saMnyAsa
initiation. Typically, vivAha (marriage) marks the end of the period of
studying to recite the veda, and the groom is called a snAtaka during the
vrata done before the wedding ceremony proper. This vrata is like a
graduation ceremony, so to speak. One who opts to remain a brahmacArin after
completing the vedic study also goes through a ritual marking his graduation
and it is at this time that a name with a caitanya title may optionally be
given. Nowadays it is used in the newer groups like the Chinmaya mission,
for those who are students, in preparation for saMnyAsa. In north India,
where the Akhada system is widespread, there is an Agni Akhada for the
brahmacArins. The members of the Juna, Niranjani and other Akhadas are
saMnyAsins.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar