[Advaita-l] RE: Ananda, Chaitanya

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 03:30:33 CDT 2004

I am afraid Sri Shankarananda Saraswathi was NOT the Peedadhipathi at Sringeri.  See "The Throne of Transendental Wisdom".

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> Some of them do have aananda, though not at the end, e.g.,
> saccidaananda bhaaratii. Since aananda is not a da"sanaamii suffix,

What about Swami Shankarananda Sarasvati the author of Atma Purana and
commentaries on Gita and Upanishads. He was the paramaguru of Swami
Vidyaranya and himself occupied the Shrngeri pitha did he not. His gurus
name was Anandatma.

> perhaps it is not taken at the end by traditional da"sanaamii
> sanyaasins. aananda has probably been popularized by the RK Mission,
> Chinmaya mission, etc.

They may have popularized the idea but there are plenty of historical
examples prior to the modern period too.

> The suffix aa"srama also nominally come under "s.r.ngeri, but no
> aacaarya in the "s.r.ngeri list has that as the title. Most in the
> list seemed to be bhaaratii, followed by tiirtha. A couple of giris
> and only one aara.nya.

A lot of the associations in these lists seem to be rather theoretical.
The correspondence of a Veda with each pitha is another example.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas
Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org