[Advaita-l] Waking & Dream - An objective outlook

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 14:25:45 CDT 2004

--- "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
> [Posting on behalf of Bhaskar who was unable to access the list.]
>
> Humble praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> In shruti-s, one can see various methodologies have been adopted to
> teach
> Atmaikatva vAda.  Our advaita sampradAya vidha-s have gracefully
> brought
> out these methods & clealy explained the intrecacies of these
> methodologies.  adhyArOpa apavAda is the principal method adopted by
> shrutis, in that we can see subdivisions like avasthA traya prakriya
> (analysation of our three states i.e.  waking, dream & sleep states),
> kArya-kAraNa (cause & effect)  prakriya, pancha kOsha (five sheaths)
> prakriya etc. etc. Since in this moth's main topic *Real & Unreal*,
> avastha traya holds the key position, this is a humble attempt to
> analyse
> our waking & dream states from an objective view point without any
> subjective attachment to the waker.

I observe that in your entire reply, there is no mention of the
ontology of the Vedas at all. This is typical in all the advaita
arguments on reality that I've seen so far.

Consider: I do not perceive any of the verses of the sAma Veda. In
fact, I have never ever perceived all of the verses of the sAma Veda in
my waking, dream, or deep-sleep states. In my waking, dream, and deep
sleep states, the sAma Veda recitals I have heard occupy an
infinitesimal part of my experiences. Can I now, using arguments
similar to what you have advanced below, take the sAma Veda as being
virtually non-existent? That was a rhetorical question, the answer is
obviously - NO!

Right at the beginning of their philosophy, Jaimini and KumArila make
an important statement intersecting both ontology and epistemology (see
pUrva mImAmsA verse 1.1.12):

MOMENTARY PERCEPTION DOES NOT IMPLY MOMENTARY EXISTENCE

If the above statement is not accepted, it is _impossible_ to establish
the ontology of words (and by corollary the ontology of the Vedas). In
answer to my above query as to the existence of the sAma Veda, Jaimini
and KumArila would reply, "You momentarily perceive the sAma Veda, but
it does not imply that the sAma Veda exists momentarily. In fact, the
sAma Veda exists eternally and is perceived by you momentarily.
THE VEDAS EXIST INDEPENDENT OF YOUR PERCEPTION OF THEM."

The Jaimini-KumArila theory of ontology of world-experience goes
something like this: "The world as perceived by the senses in the
waking state is real. The dream sleep state is when the senses are
inactive, but the mind is active, and hence the non-perception of the
real world along with the perception of the false dream-world within
the mind. The deep sleep state is when the entire set of organs of
perception are inactive, hence pure non-perception of a world." This
can easily be recognized as being very close to the dvaitins' position,
and is often termed REALISM. It is a viewpoint of reality, and SUPERBLY
explains the ontology of the Vedas. If you think the dvaitins are
realists, you should read KumArila, who argues for the reality of the
waking state in an UNCOMPROMISING manner.

All I'm saying is this: claiming that the arguments you have given
below are the same ones that Shankara used to convince the mImAmsakas
is untenable. If Shankara had given these arguments, the mImAmsakas
woul've ignored him completely and gone about their business of
spreading pUrva-mImAmsA. In fact, every argument that you have given
below strikes at the very heart of the ontology of the Vedas. I'm
certain that there are explanations within the advaita tradition for
the ontology of the Vedas, but don't buy the claim that a "definition
of reality" would convince the mImAmsakas.

-Kartik