[Advaita-l] Re:clarification on Vedantasutra

Ramesh Badisa badisa55 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 4 10:51:33 CDT 2004

Dear respected members,
Namaste.

In my earlier response to sri Bhaskar’s quarries, I have mentioned that the
liberated souls at Brahma Lok can only have limited powers on the ground
that they haven’t yet got the absolute salvation. On this basis, it is clear
that the sutras are not in favor of sri Ramanujam’s philosophy because, the
souls cannot have infinite powers like divine in the absence of salvation.

But how do we know that the liberated souls at Brahma Lok haven’t yet got
the salvation? For example, if we see the sequence of sutras, the sutra
4.3.10 comes before 4.4.17 sutra. Right? It means that as per 4.3.10 sutra,
pralaya has taken place and those souls have got the salvation. Thus, on
this basis, it is more reasonable to assume that all sutras coming later are
concerned about the souls that are in the state of salvation. For example,
when 4.4.17 sutra says that the souls have limited powers only, it is
reasonable to assume that this sutra is concerned with the souls that are in
the state of absolute salvation. Then, it looks that the sutras are in favor
of sri Ramanujam’s philosophy. The logic seems to be correct if we follow
the sequence of the sutras, and thus, swami Krishnananda ji said in his “An
Analysis of Brahma Sutra” text that the sutra is sympathetic with Vaishnava
theology of sri Ramanuja, and that sri Shankara has practically nothing to
tell us here in this regard. But in my response to sri Bhaskar quarries, it
was maintained that the sutra 4.4.17 is still concerned with the souls that
haven’t yet got the salvation. It means that my response is totally opposite
than the above position. Is there any basis for my stand in this regard?
Please see the following explanation.

There is an objection here to say that the sutra is sympathetic with
Vaishnava theology of sri Ramanuja. The Brahma Sutras appear to be, I repeat
again, appears to be sympathetic with sri Ramanuja theology only when we
follow the sequence of the sutras. But this is not correct in absolute sense
when we see the actual intension of sutras in light of other scriptures like
Gita.

For example, we see 5/5 sloka of Gita. In this sloka, Lord Krishna says that
the final result for a gyani and a karma yogi is the same. In a nutshell,
Lord Krishna is talking about attainment of salvation by two different ways
(immediate salvation for a gyani and gradual salvation for karma yogi, who
failed divine experience while living). The same is also found in different
sruti texts about attainment of salvation by two different ways. Now, let us
apply this rule to see if, as per the understanding of sri Ramanuja, the
nature of salvation for either of routes is same or not.

As per the understanding of sri Ramanuaja, the nature of salvation for the
liberated souls at Brahma Lok cannot be the same as that of a gyani. How?
Because as per him, the souls (of krama mukti path) would finally reach the
abode of supreme divine, still maintain individual identities in the state
of salvation, possess limited powers and enjoy the divine glories at divine
abode for ever, while the soul of a gyani merged in divine for absolute
salvation and become divine as per sruti authority. Here, sri Ramanuja
either did not know this type of (immediate) salvation for gyanis or
deliberately chosen to ignore it. Therefore, the conclusion is that as per
sri Ramanuja understanding, the nature of salvation is not same for a krama
mukti path followed souls and a sadhyo mukti souls of  gyanis. But according
to Lord Krishna in Gita 5/5, the final result of absolute salvation for a
gyani (divine experienced person) and a karma yogi (a yogi if died before
the experience of divine) is the same irrespective of the route they follow.
This condition is not fulfilled as per the understanding of sri Ramanujam
because of the reasons just explained above. As the nature of salvation for
krama mukti path followed souls is not same as that of the soul of a gyani,
it should, therefore, be understood that by following the sequence of
sutras, one cannot come to correct conclusion, meaning that the sutras after
4.3.10 are still concerned about the liberated souls at Brahma Lok, before
pralaya and before salvation.

But here, the followers of sri Ramanujam may still argue that the soul of a
gyani also goes to Brahma Lok and, after pralaya, this soul (like other
qualified souls that are lack of divine experience while on earth but are
currently at Brahma Lok) would maintain individual identities and possess
limited powers in the state of salvation. Thus, they may contend that souls
of a gyani and a karma yogi have the same final result (salvation – that is
maintaining individual identities of souls and limited powers at Brahma Lok)
and contend that it is consistent as per Gita 5/5 sloka too. For this, the
reply is that if this assumption is true, then there is no need for anyone
to do very hard (Katha Up. 3rd valli, 14) spiritual sadhana as per sruti
while living on earth in order to get divine experience. Because, if the
souls ‘with and without’ divine experience have the same treatment right
from the beginning of devyan marg onwards, then why anybody would have to
struggle for divine experience while living when the same result (absolute
salvation) is obtained without divine experience also? More over, if the
above Ramanuja follower’s explanation is valid, then all the sruti sayings
(please see Mundaka Up. 3.2.8; Varaho Up 4.5; and Prasna Upanishad 6.5 etc)
will become meaningless. In Varaho Upanishad 4.5, it is clearly mentioned
that salvation can be achieved in two ways. If there is only one way of
attaining salvation, as per sri Ramanujam, then how to explain this sruti
quote? Also in Gita 5/5, Lord Krishna made a comparison between gyanis and
karma yogis, and concluded that the final result is same for both. For
example, if there is no initial distinction between gyanis and karma yogis,
then why Lord Krishna would make a comparison at all in the first place in
Gita 5/5? As Lord Krishna is aware of two different ways of salvation, he
initially compared gyanis and karma yogis, and finally concluded that final
result of salvation is same. If there is only one route for all qualified
souls to achieve salvation (as understood by sri Ramanuja), then there is no
reason to compare in 5/5 Gita in the beginning and then conclude later that
the final result is same for them. Because, in the event of having only one
route for salvation, the treatment for both gyanis and karma yogis, right
from the beginning to the end, is the same, hence no need to make any
comparison. But, Lord Krishna makes comparison in 5/5 to indicate the
distinction in the initial stages of gyanis and karma yogis, but concluded
that the final result is same for both.

Therefore, the conclusion, arrived by following the sequence of sutras,
cannot have consistent view with other spiritual texts. Thus, in order to
reconcile the understanding of sutras, it is necessary to say that the
sutras, coming after 4.3.10, are still concerned with the liberated souls at
Brahma Lok, before pralaya and before they got the salvation. Thus, it is
right to say that the sutras are not sympathetic with Vaishnava theology of
sri Ramanuja when we look the actual intension of the sutras. In the state
of salvation, all souls will merge in divine and loose individual identities
and will not have any limitations what so ever.

Namaste

Badisa