[Advaita-l] Re: purusha sUktam & nArAyaNa sUktam

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Mar 5 09:33:21 CST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, [iso-8859-1] Raghavendra N Kalyan wrote:

> Which uttara-nArAyana sUktam are you talking of? The purusha sUktam
> itself contains pUrva and uttara nArAyaNa portions. I was asking about
> the nArAyaNa sUktam starting with "sahasra SIrsham devam..." Are you
> talking about the same? Please clarify.

By strange coincidence my mother came back yesterday from a trip to India
and she brought me back some books one of which is called "Purushasukta
and Narayanasukta" by the RamaKrishna Matha, Chennai.  The English
translation is totally worthless but it is interesting because it gives
the krshnayajurveda patha of these suktas.

The Purushasukta (Taittereyaranyaka 3.12-13) is shown as being of 24 rks
in 2 anuvakas which mostly correspond to what I describe as the purushasukta
and uttaranarayanasukta.  However the order is different in the first
anuvaka. It goes by my numbering, 1,2,3,4,5,14,15,9,6,7,8,10,11,12,13,
two additional Rks: vedAhametaM and dhAtApurastAt, and then 16.  The
second anuvaka has the same number and order as vajasaneyisamhita 17-22.

The narayanasukta beginning sahasraShIrshaM devaM is Taittereyaranyaka
10.13.  The 10th kanda of this aranyaka is also known as
mahanarayanopanishad so it easy to see the Vedantic significance.