[Advaita-l] How to get an hindu name?

Jurek omeganlp at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 10:14:34 CST 2004

Dear friends,

Various sampradayas (Master/Disciple successions) may give you a new name during Initiation to celebrate the fact you made a step into a path (and many more depending on the order.)

>From the purely psychological point of view, the new name may help you reframe your self-identification pattern.

Being inspired by particular meaning of the name you start living it. However, essential understanding appears to be that your real name is Brahman, and that you wake up to this simply by realizing you (Atman) are Brahman.

Sorry for having to say it, but I am often confused by Easter teachers and practitioners advocating adherence to Christian religion.

Please kindly note that Christianity in essence drives you in the opposite direction (teling you that you are created, (not-eternally existing), separate being (who is not God!) and who never gets close to God's ontological status by actually realizing that his real nature is being God').

In this context I would have yet to be told in which sense adherence to Christian dogmatics could bring anybody closer to self-realization. (This is just a rethorical question since I have realization that it can not.)

Marie,

Please read for example Bhagavat-Gita commentary by Swami Abhedananda explaining this subject in satisfying detail. I am not a theologian and I do not play semantical games.

Cheers

rohit ubhayaker <rohit8ganesh at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

S Jayanarayanan wrote:
Hi Maria,

I'm surprised that no one has replied to your email. I don't think it's
necessary to change your name to a Hindu one, in order to be, in your
own words, "Hindu at heart".

I think it may actually sound "contrived and new-agey" to change your
name to make it sound more Hindu.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

-Kartik

--- María Dickson wrote:
> Dear members
>
> I see that almost every member of this list have hindu
> names. I don‘t know if you all are from hindu families
> but my question is simply: How could an occidental
> woman, without any drop of hindu blood in her veins
> but full of hinduism in her heart, get an hindu name?
> I don‘t know why, but I feel myself in a wrong place
> with a wrong name. And as in my country there is not a
> significant hindu community (there is a lot of “new
> age” pseudo hinduism), you are my only group of
> reference.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Om Namo Narayanaya!

> Need assistance? Contact:
> listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org
Dear Saadhaka ,

Whereas the desire of changing the name to a Hindu name is good , it is not necessary .

If you are a Hindu at heart , then you can be a good Christian , etc. The Hindu way of life embraces all . There are Hindu altars , even orthodox ones , where one does find pictures of Jesus Christ ,etc .To a Hindu , equal respect is tendered to all . A Hindu believes all these to be Aachaaryas .

The great P.P.Jagadguru Shankaraachaarya Shrimad Chandrashekharendra Sarasvati Mahaasvaamiji of Shri Kaanchi Kaamakoti Peetha was once approached by a Christian with some spiritual dilemma . The seeker said that he wasn't happy in his religion , and wanted advice from H.H. Mahaasvaamiji , whom he admired as a spiritual leader . Shri Mahaasvaamiji said ," It is enough that you be a devout Christian , your spiritual advancement will be assured ."

However, if you really want to change your name , you can approach some temple priest for the same .

May the good Lord bless you .

BHAVA SHANKARA DESHIKA MAY SHARANAM.

With Love,

Rohit N.Ubhayaker.