[Advaita-l] RE: jnAni

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Mon May 24 14:06:24 CDT 2004

>(I read thru the Sri Vidyasankar's postings on sadyomukti etc.  There is
>reference to Br. Up 1.4.7.  Is it the same?)

As far as I am aware, Br. Up 1.4.7 is the key location where Sankara refers
to the need for additional sAdhana-s after the rise of jnAna
(samyag-jnAna-prAptAv apy avaSyaM bhAvinI pravRttiH ... ). Here, jnAna is
something that has been obtained and therefore liable to be weaker than the
previous impelling towards karma (tena pakshe prApta-jnAna-pravRtti
daurbalyaM). So, yes, the term jnAnI is used apropos one who still feels
subject to imperfection. The entire discussion here is whether any
injunctions are applicable to the knower and Sankara concludes that yes, a
niyama vidhi applies in these cases, in order to perfect the jnAna and to
counter the effects of prArabdha karman.

Vidyasankar