[Advaita-l] RE: brahman and Anandamaya-Atman

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue May 25 22:00:59 CDT 2004

In the preceding posts, we have seen that

a. the vedAnta-sUtra does not quite deny the meaning of vikAra for the -maya
suffix, but rejects the idea that this meaning of vikAra negates Anandamaya
as brahman;

b. it also rejects the idea that Anandamaya may be the transmigrating jIva;

c. contrary to mistaken interpretations of advaita thought, SankarAcArya's
sUtra commentary also affirms that Anandamaya is brahman, but points out
that Anandamaya is saviSesha (saguNa) brahman; and

d. the text of the taittirIya upanishad, AnandavallI, gives rise to certain
issues that SankarAcArya raises in the form of doubts/questions and
addresses in his commentary.

In this post, I will briefly go over the commentary on the Anandamaya
description in the taittirIya upanishat. SankarAcArya points out that,

i. the -maya suffix continues to bear the meaning of vikAra here too, as in
the outer four Atman-s/SarIra-s.

ii. the text goes on to say, "etam Anandamayam AtmAnam upasaMkrAmati". It is
logically impossible for the Anandamaya-Atman to go beyond the
Anandamaya-Atman. Therefore, Sruti does describe a brahman who goes beyond
the Anandamaya,

iii. the Anandamaya is described in terms of parts, with priya, moda etc.,
which would not hold true of the absolute nirguNa brahman,

iv. the text also says "adRSye 'nAtmye 'nirukte 'nilayane" thereby showing
the absence of all qualifiers in the highest brahman,

v. after describing the Anandamaya, the text quotes Sloka-s (asann eva sa
bhavati ...) which imply the possibility of a doubt whether the highest
brahman exists or not. Such a doubt would be impossible with respect to the
Anandamaya, which is experienced by everybody, for varying reasons,

Having said all this, what then is this highest brahman? SankarAcArya points
out that it is not the Anandamaya (the body made of bliss) per se, but
Ananda itself, the highest bliss, which is indicated as the highest brahman.
The taittirIya says that Ananda itself is the Atman (self) of the
Anandamaya, and that brahman is the tail (puccha) / basis (pratishThA). It
is not as if the highest brahman is literally one of the limbs of the
Anandamaya self. Rather, brahman, which is bliss (Ananda), is the innermost
Self of being, from the outermost annamaya to the Anandamaya. It is this
brahman that is further described in terms of the absence of all attributes
(adRSya, anAtmya, anirukta, anilayana) and it is with respect to this
brahman that a question may arise as to whether it exists or not. (Indeed,
there are schools of thought that claim that nirguNa brahman does not exist
at all.) SankarAcArya here draws our attention to an important point
regarding how to get rid of the doubt whether nirguNa brahman exists or not.
The Anandamaya is known through our ordinary experiences of bliss/happiness.
This may be a result of learning, or performance of actions, or the mere
sight of a loved child. If we pay internal attention to our experience of
Anandamaya, it is also known in the sleeping state. However, because our
ordinary experiences of happiness are directed towards external objects,
they do not last. When we turn away from external objects and find the bliss
inherent in our own Self, as our own Self, that is no longer just a fleeting
experience of happiness. Thus, the Anandamaya self, in its best experience,
culminates in the highest Ananda. That Ananda is the highest brahman, and is
described as the foundation of the Anandamaya. Therefore, we can infer that
the highest brahman is not non-existent and that this brahman is the end of
all the duality posited by ignorance (Anandamayasya ekatva-avasAnatvAt |
asti tad ekam avidyA-kalpitasya dvaitasya-avasAna-bhUtam-advaitaM brahma
pratishThA puccham).

The upanishat further goes on to say, "asad vA idam agra AsIt tato vai sad
ajAyata" - here the highest brahman, which is devoid of all attributes, is
figuratively described as "asat" - non-existence. This does not mean
absolute non-existence, but indicates that the highest brahman is beyond all
name and form (nAma-rUpa). This is because the doubt regarding the possible
non-existence of brahman has already been addressed. From this brahman
arises all that has name and form and is generally known to be existent in
the world (tato vai sad ajAyata).

Thus, we can see that SankarAcArya draws a crucial distinction between
Anandamaya-Atman, the self known through experiences of happiness/bliss, and
Ananda itself, the brahman which is beyond all sensory experience. His
explanation is the best possible one of the seemingly contradictory and
puzzling statements in the taittirIya upanishat. After all, read by itself,
without the help of the commentary, the upanishat first warns that one who
knows brahman as "asat" (non-existence) will himself become non-existent and
then goes on to say "asad vA idam agra AsIt tato vai sad ajAyata"
(non-existence alone was, in the beginning, from this, arose existence). It
is only through SankarAcArya's clear interpretation that we get an idea of
what these enigmatic statements in the upanishat really mean.

This concludes this short series.

Regards,
Vidyasankar