[Advaita-l] RE: brahman and Anandamaya-Atman

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu May 27 19:36:28 CDT 2004

To clarify a couple of points,

1. As far as I can see, Sankara does not give room to think that Anandamaya
koSa is a part of the antaHkaraNa (literally, internal organ, the cognitive
apparatus through which we know). Clearly, manomaya and vijnAnamaya are
aspects of the antaHkaraNa. That said, any experience of happiness is always
via the antaHkaraNa.

2. We have to remember that Anandamaya is also equated with ISvara. Inasmuch
as ISvara is conceived of as having guNa-s, which are posited by
avidyA/mAyA, we can say that Anandamaya is also within the realm of avidyA.
Anandamaya is not just the bhoktRtva-Sakti of jIva. However, kartRtva and
bhoktRtva of the jIva are both derived from ISvara. As Sankara puts it
elsewhere in the sUtrabhAshya, "karoty eva jIvaH ... ISvaraH kArayati".
Thus, there is more to the Anandamaya-Atman in the advaita interpretation.

Regards,
Vidyasankar