[Advaita-l] Guidance of a guru

Venkat Shrinivas vsh at verizon.net
Mon Nov 8 06:48:41 CST 2004

Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

Note even this description is somewhat vague.  There cannot be one fixed
recipe for mukti because every seeker is the result of a different bundle
of vasanas.  This is why one is advised to seek the guidance of a guru.

--

On the "practical" side - finding the right guru seems the first and most
difficult thing to do, especially when there are so many quacks and cons in

What are the qualities of a guru? How does one recognize his/her guru,
especially in the modern times and in western world? Is it necessary that
the guru be self-realized? Does one have only "a" guru or can there be more
than one gurus? Does the guru have to physically present in this world now -
or can we Have a "virtual" guru through the works and teachings of saints
and sages who are not here with us now, say as is in Adi Shankara or Ramana
maharishi? Is it necessary to keep in regular contact with their guru - say
as in visiting their ashram often? Is it okay to change the guru if we think
that we are not making progress? Do we always need a guru - or is it
necessary only when we are starting out?

These are important questions - would appreciate if the members can share
their thoughts and knowledge in this forum.

Thanks.
Venkat Shrinivas.