[Advaita-l] Sankaracharya's Arrest

U.K Anumula anumula at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 18 19:25:53 CST 2004

The Tamil Nadu Government, a responsible body answerable to ithe state's
legislature and, equally importantly to the Judiciary and the media, not to
speak of public opinion has according to the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu,
found substantial evidence against the Kanchi Sankaracharya to justify his
arrest.   There is no reason why prima facie the allegations should not be
considered genuine.  The judiciary, after examining the evidence, will no
doubt convict him or acquit him either honourably or because the evidence is
insufficient to convict him or there is reasonable doubt.  We should neither
judge him to be guilty nor conclude that he was unfairly charged until the
conclusion of the case.   A true advaitin is a rational creature who does
not come to conclusions based on hearsay or preconceived notions.   Adi
Sankara would have adopted this stand.

There is however one unfortunate aspect to the controversy.   There appears
to be a rejoicing among non-Brahmins and sense of grievance among Brahmins.
  This is a direct result of the caste system in India and the perverse
directions it has taken in South India.   Brahmins have to indulge in
introspection to find why non-Brahmins hate them that much.   Why do even
illiterate Brahmins consider themselves socially superior to the most
well-educated non-Brahmins?

I beg to be excused if I have hurt the sentiments of some participants of
this excellent forum.

-----Umakantha Sarma.