[Advaita-l] guidance of guru : About Jiddu

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 12:09:42 CST 2004

--- venkata subramanian <venkat_advaita at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mr. Jayanarayanan,
>
> can you please give reference of Sri Bhagavan's refutation.   Its
> quite Significant.

The link that I provided in my previous email has the reference. Here
it is again (I have used ALL CAPS for emphasis):

http://www.escribe.com/religion/advaita/m7483.html

This is clearly brought out in Ramana's reply to a question raised by
a devotee on 11-1-1946 (`Day by day with Bhagavan,' by Devaraja
Mudaliar):

-----------------
A young man from Colombo, Ceylon, said to Bhagavan: "J. Krishnamurti
teaches the METHOD OF EFFORTLESS AND CHOICELESS AWARENESS AS DISTINCT
FROM THAT OF DELIBERATE CONCENTRATION. Would Sri Bhagavan be pleased to
explain how best to practise meditation and what form the object of
meditation shall take?"

Bhagavan: "Effortless and choiceless awareness is our real nature. If
we can attain that state and abide in it, that is all right. But one
cannot reach it without effort, the effort of deliberate meditation.
All the age-old vAsanas (inherent tendencies) turn the mind outwards to
external objects. All such thoughts have to be given up and the mind
turned inwards and that, for most people, requires effort. Of course,
every teacher and every book tells the aspirant to keep quiet, but it
is not easy to do so. That is why all this effort is necessary. Even if
we find somebody who has achieved this supreme state of stillness, you
may take it that the necessary effort had already been made in a
previous life. SO, EFFORTLESS AND CHOICELESS AWARENESS IS ATTAINED ONLY
AFTER DELIBERATE MEDITATION. That meditation can take whatever form
most appeals to you. See what helps you to keep out all other thoughts
and adopt that for your meditation."

Note carefully the distinction between RM's teachings and JK's. In the
former's path, effort is required for attaining the goal, but the goal
is effortlessness. In the latter's path, effortlessness is the method
itself, which is clearly refuted by RM.