[Advaita-l] The Advaitasiddhi of Madhusudan Saraswati

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 7 02:11:54 CDT 2004

srikrishna_ghadiyaram at yahoo.com  wrote:
>Would someone clarify to me how many chapters comprise
>the original Advaita Siddhi and what are the topics.
>Are there are other published translations of Jha or
>other writers with other chapters ?

The advaitasiddhi has four parichchheda's or sections. The first deals with
the matter of how and why the world of duality is unreal. The second deals
with Brahman, the sole reality. The third describes shravana, manana, and
nididhyAsana and their efficacy in achieving liberation. The last section
deals with liberation itself.

It is a big book and the first section is by far the biggest among the four.
Pt. Anantakrishna Sastri, in his edition of the advaitasiddhi along with the
GauDabrahmAnandI and viTThaleshopAdyAya's commentaries, has divided the
advaitasiddhi into 108 topics which are distributed among the four sections.

I have not seen a complete translation of the advaitasiddhi, which is why I
am attempting it. I hope to complete it in this lifetime (!!) and get it
reviewed by Sringeri scholars. The Sringeri Math has started bringing out a
scholarly sanskrit commentary on the GauDaBrahmAnandI which itself is by far
the most famous commentary on the advaitasiddhi. I recently got the first
volume and am eagerly waiting for the next volume. During my last visit to
Sringeri, I had a discussion with Shri Gowrishankar, the Administrator of
the Math, regarding the Advaita Sarada Project at Sringeri. This project
aims to provide electronic versions of manuscripts in advaita to interested
people. There is so much work that needs to be done, but between studying
advaita, practising Brahminhood and lengthy sessions of Yoga and meditation,
and running a software company, I just can't find enough time. Besides,
Bangalore is awfully crowded these days and fighting traffic is a fierce and
long battle every day.

Anand