[Advaita-l] Newton's "laws"

Ravishankar Venkatraman sunlike at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 10:59:06 CDT 2004

> > It is proved that Gaudapaada knew a more generic
> > form of Newton's laws at least 8 centuries before
> > Newton.

I think that we cannot compare both of them for one simple reason: Newton
was working on theories in the material world without any metaphysical
connotations whereas our Acharyas delved in the metaphysical world all the
time. Brahman does not have any qualities - the question of mass and
momentum do not arise. However any references to the material world by
Acharyas is to somewhow emphasise karma or to make parallels to the
metaphysical concepts to give a better understanding.

>I didn't examine your proof since the thesis itself is
>useless according to me. It subscribes once again to
>the stupid Indian habit of satisfying the ego by
>chanting "My country WAS good".

At the same time, even western scientists have found certain theories in the
puranas very convincing that Indian rishis had advanced knowledge of space
and the cosmos. Carl Sagan compares the cycles of the universe with Hindu
calendars, and the German physicist Erwin Scrodinger (famous for wave
equation) explains "tat tvam asi" in his essays. I tend to think that the
scientific knowledge needed to pursue the religious and spiritual goals were
certainly advanced by the Hindus, while they did not care much about other
things.

This is just my opinion...

Thanks,
Ravi