[Advaita-l] Commentaries and Sub-commentaries on bhagavad-gItA
venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 03:35:18 CDT 2005
There is a Book by name "Advaita Vedanta a bibliographical survey" authored by Sri Thangaswamy Sharma, Mimasa Scholar, published by Madras University, in Sanskrit. It gives a good list of Commentaries and sub-commentaries on the Gita available in Manuscripts as well as published works. Many entires have been culled out from the Descriptive catalogues, published by various institutions.
some of the main commentaries on the Bhashya are:-
1. By Anubhuthi Swarupa Acharya, unpublished (perhaps may be published by Sri Dakshinamurthy Math, Varanasi) who is also the author of a sub-commentary on the Mandukya Upanishad Bhashya, which is published at Varanasi and Chennai (Sanskrit Education Society)
2. By Ananda Giri (Anandagyana) published at umpteen places.
3. By Ramaraya Kavi of Bellaconda, published by Sri Sringeri Math, Hyderabad. Scholarly commentary without doubt.; Name is 'Paramartha Prabha". he also attacks Ramanuja throughout.
4. By Surya Pandit of Pune. published.
5. One Krisnananda has written a commentary published some where from Karwar.
6. Good footnotes are done by Swami Sachidananendra Saraswathi of Holenarsipur, but not in Sanskrit, but Kannada. His Gita Shastrartha Viveka in Sanskrit is a good digest of the Acharya's Gita Bhashya.
7. Bhashyotkarsha Deepika by Dhanapathy Suri, is not a sub-commentary, but is frequently referred by everyone.
8. From Chowkhamba, there is a Padya vyakayna published.
Other Commentaries :-
9. By Madhusudhana Saraswathi, "Gudartha Deepika" published by many.
10. By Venkata Natha - published by Vani Vilas. Brahmanandeeyam. His sanskrit is simple, and at many places, he has given the juice of the Bhashya in some places. he attacks Madhva like anything.
11. Sridhara's, Nilakanta's, etc are there.
Ravi Mayavaram <ravi at ambaa.org> wrote:
Can members list the available sub-commentaries on our AchArya-s
bhAshyam and also other commentaries that are in agreement with it.
If possible, please include the publisher information.
A historical sketch of commentatorial tradition in this regard will also
be useful .
Thank you in advance.
 For example please see
want to unsubscribe or change your options? See:
Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org
Thanks & Regards,
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
More information about the Advaita-l mailing list