[Advaita-l] ADMIN: bhagavad gItA bhAShya focus

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 17 17:27:32 CDT 2005

It is a week into the pArthiva year (by the lunar calendar), during we which
we have decided to focus on the bhagavad gItA commentary.

First off, I would like to emphasize that our focus is not only on the gItA,
but also on the bhAShya on it by SankarAchArya.

Secondly, although we agreed that I would lead the discussion, I think list
members can start discussions based on the gItA bhAShya without waiting for
me to start a topic.

Thirdly, I would like discussions to be of general scope, i.e. we do not
have to go verse by verse, but we could put together various references
within the text based on topic and take the discussion from there.

To this end, I will start, in my next post, a discussion on the limbs of
yoga as found in the gItA commentary. I have chosen this for two reasons -
one, over the last few months, there has been an appreciable level of
general interest in yoga as it relates to advaita; and two, I have already
compiled references from the gItA bhAShya on this topic. I have made an
effort to identify all references within the gItA bhAShya for each topic,
but it is quite probable that I will have missed something or other. I hope
this series of posts will spark a broad discussion and I would welcome
additional references if readers notice that I have missed them.

Regards,
Vidyasankar