[Advaita-l] BGBh and yoga - yama-niyama - I

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 17 18:45:27 CDT 2005

The eight limbs (aShTAN^ga) of yoga, traditionally counted, are yama,
niyama, Asana, prANAyAma, pratyAhAra, dhAraNA, dhyAna and samAdhi. I will
take up references to these limbs (aN^ga-s) in the bhagavad gItA bhAShya
(BGBh) and other commentaries, in sequential order. In this post, we will
see how and where SankarAchArya refers to the first two, yama-s and
niyama-s.

The yogasUtra lists tapas (penance), svAdhyAya (self-study) and
ISvara-praNidhAna (meditation on the Lord) as the three limbs of kriyA-yoga
(sUtra 2. 1). The same three, along with Sauca (purity) and santoSha
(happiness/contentment), are listed as kinds of niyama-s (sUtra 2. 32). The
yama-s are listed (sUtra 2. 30) as ahi.msA (non-violence), satya (truth),
asteya (non-stealing), brahmacharya (chastity) and aparigraha
(non-acquisition). We may also note that the taittirIya upaniShat (TU) gives
great importance to tapas and svAdhyAya too (tapaS ca svAdhyAya-pravacane ca
... tapa iti taponiShThaH pauruSiShTiH ... taddhi tapas taddhi tapaH - TU
SIxAvallI; tapo brahmeti sa tapo.atapyata - TU bhR^iguvallI).

bhagavad gItA (BG) 4.28 (dravya-yaGYas tapo-yaGYA ...) refers to tapas and
svAdhyAya. In the bhAShya, SankarAchArya leaves tapas to be understood and
doesn't describe it in greater detail. However, he explains svAdhyAya as
"yathAvidhi R^ig-Ady-abhyAsaH" i.e. study (and practice of chanting) of the
Vedas. I refer to the Vedas in plural here, because of the term Adi in the
compound R^ig-Adi, i.e. the R^igveda and so forth.

BG 17. 14-16 lists the kinds of physical, verbal and mental tapas. I will
take up these verses and the commentary thereon for the next post in this
series.

Vidyasankar