[Advaita-l] Re: Universe finite or infinite?

Aditya Varun Chadha adichad at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 13:38:59 CDT 2005

Greetings,

You yourself have quoted that "puruSa is infinite" and that "the
created universe is only a fraction of puruSa". This is straight from
Sruti, therefore there is no doubt about these two statements.

now the point that remains to be clarified is whether being "a part of
something infinite" inherantly implies being "finite" or whether it is
"possible" for "a part of infinity" to be "infinite".

Apart from the repeated examples of parts of infinity being infinite
from pratyakSa pramANa that you have been "respecting as opinion", you
have expressed the "opinion" that "1/4th of infinity cannot be
infinite because as soon as we attach numbers and fractions to
anything, we are implying its finiteness". It is this very opinion of
yours which I am doubtful about. Note that I am not asserting that the
created universe is infinite. I am just asserting that "a part of
infinity" CAN POSSIBLY be infinite (not that it necessarily is, but
that it MAY be).

One argument that although is not a direct quote from Sruti, but is
definitely derived from the advaita-based interpretation of Sruti is
as follows:

Consider Krishna's statement that the whole universe is only a
fraction of Him. Now, would it make sense for Arjuna to ask, "then
show me which part of you is the universe" or "show me which part of
you is NOT the created universe"? Sruti itself says that this is not
possible to do (Tat Tvam Asi, Brahmoasmi, etc.), that it is absurd to
ask for a breakdown of brAhmaN into parts like created universe and
the rest of brAhmaN.

Now, if the universe was finite, it would be a straightforward task to
identify that "part" of Krishna or brAhmaN which is the created
universe (since that part is finite). But that belies the concept of
brAhmaN itself, because it is said to be indivisible, i.e. the ONLY
thing that exists. In the Upanishads (Sruti) this is a central theme.
Please note that "A is a part of B" recognizes the existance of two
entities, A and B. Thus in fact, if we assume puruSa or brAhmaN to be
infinite, and propound the created universe to be finite, we are
recognizing them as two seperate entities, which is contradictory to
the specific teachings of advaita.

You talk about the impossibility of salvation through worship of
prakruti. This I agree with completely, but again you are missing the
point. The point is that although Divine is infinite, and prakruti is
only a part of it, assuming that prakruti is also infinite does not
mean that it has to be the same as Divine. Prakruti can be an
"incomplete" part of brAhmaN, and yet still be infinite. the criterion
for salvation is not the "infinity" of the object of our worship. the
criterion is its ultimate identity with brAhmaN, which prakruti by
itself fails to satisfy, and therefore it is not possible to attain
salvation through prakruti worship alone. i.e. prakruti may be smaller
than brAhmaN but may still be infinite, and since it is not the
complete brAhmaN, it cannot provide salvation.

I do agree that to an observer bound by the manifest nature of our
created universe, it is hard if not impossible to see things in light
of perfect non-dualism, but vedanta cries repeatedly that the ultimate
knowledge is in fact in this identity, in "Tat Tvam Asi", so if your
question is that "to the human mind is the universe finite or
infinite" then ofcourse it is a matter of opinion alone. but if your
question pertains to the truth of the matter, our knowledge is
inconclusive (it may be finite, or infinite). But definitely, the
statement that "something that is only a part of infinity must be
finite" has serious flaws in it, both logical and based on Sruti (for
example you do concede that puruSa is infinite, although it is only
the manifest "part" of brAhmaN).

I am not arguing that the universe is infinite, I am arguing that the
evidence within Sruti is inconclusive about its finiteness or
infiniteness. This is a crucial point I wish to make, that it is not
NECESSARILY true that anything that is part of infinity is finite.
There are some things that are finite which are part of infinite
things, and there are some infinite things that are part of other
infinite things.

Please at least try to go through what I have written by applying
logical analysis along with Sruti quotes. Being able to cite
quotations at the drop of a hat is not necessarily a sign of
understanding or authority. One must link together these isolated
facts into a coherent, logical thesis to be able to claim validity.
for example, if you say that "attaching a fraction to anything shows
its finiteness", you must be able to support it using logic and/or
facts from Sruti/pratakSa etc. For my side of the argument, that there
EXIST things that are infinite and yet are only a part of other
infinite things, is supported by the presentation of one such thing
(my rational/real set example). for a more non-mathematical or
scripture based example, think about brAhmaN and puruSa. Both are
infinite, yet puruSa is only the manifest part of brAhmaN.

Surely, today we wouldn't even regard great souls like Sankara with
respect unless their writings illustrated their great clarity and
logical mindset with which they were able to extract the essence of
something as complex as vedAnta. Unless we apply our own thinking in
addition to recitation, we don't gain much.

I think one crucial point of difference in opinion is that you are
EQUATING infinity with brAhmaN-hood or Ultimate Divinity. I am trying
to show that infinity and divinity are two different concepts. I am
trying to show that although one of the properties of brAhmaN is that
it is infinite, being infinite is not sufficient for being brAhmaN.

regards.

Aum.