[Advaita-l] Re: Universe finite or infinite?

Aditya Varun Chadha adichad at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 14:18:27 CDT 2005

Badisa:
* "All creation is but a fourth part of him. The rest is unmanifested"

Badisa: The statement "rest is unmanifested" carries importance here.
"Unmanifested" is the one, which is not created or which is left over
once the universe is created. If universe is infinite, then it should
also include the 3/4th of the remaining unmainfested form. Right? But
the created universe does not include unmanifest. As per the above
statement, created universe is only equal to fourth part of purusha.
This is a clear evidence to show the finite nature of universe.
_______

My point is precisely that "if the universe is ifninite, then it DOES
NOT NEED to include the 3/4th remaining unmanifested form." so the
answer to your "Right?" is no. You also gave the example of a finite
earth as being part of an infinite brAhmaN. you are very right on that
part. but that is teh example of the earth, a SPECIFIC example. what
makes you think that by the same token you can treat the universe?

I think you are not looking that quantifiers of your statements
carefully. Although there EXIST some things that are finite but are
part of something infinite, (for example to say that the earth is
infinite would be wrong, as you have rightly said) there MAY EXIST
OTHER infinite things that are part of something infinite.

When someone says that "part of infinity does not imply finiteness",
one does not mean that "part of infinity necessarily implies
infinity", what one means is that "infinity can have finite as well as
other infinite parts", so the earth is an example of a finite part,
and the universe may be an example of an infinite part.

The very quote that you have quoted, when Krishna talks about the
universe being 1/4th of him. would you agree that this is the same as
Krishna saying that "I am 4 times the created universe"? this is a
crucial point. if you do agree that both statements are equivalent,
then please refer to the last few paragraphs of Mr. S. Jayanarayanan's
email. if you do not think that the two statements are equivalent,
them I am afraid no matter what i say, I cannot convince you
otherwise.

4 times something finite is definitely finite is it not? if to you it
is not so then I am afraid we are living in different mental
universes, and while mine has the potential of being infinite, your
universe is definitely finite.