[Advaita-l] Re: connotation of "god"

Vaidya Sundaram vaidyasundaram at vfemail.net
Mon Apr 25 10:02:02 CDT 2005

Namaskarams to the group after a long time.

Hopefully I am not of context here, and is just my 2 cents.

In his book "Sadhana - The Sipirtual Way", Swami Krishnananda has described
the concept of God quite interestingly. I was able to learn from it, hope it
helps. I quote below from different places of the book:
(http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/sadh_00.html)

"The extent of subjectivity and self-sufficiency will determine the extent
of the divinity that is in a person. The gods populating the cosmos as
envisaged by the Veda Samhitas are these realities as envisioned by the
sages of the Vedas, who exist as the souls of things in the world, including
our own selves, -- the divinities are inhabiting even our own
individualities. Everything in the world is inhabited and indwelled by some
divinity."

"Apart from the character of self-sufficiency of the gods, there is also
another character which is the inwardness of the spirit which constitutes
divinity. A god is an inward existence and not an outward performance. It is
more an existence and a being rather than a doing or an activity. Our
existence is mostly a performance, a work."

"It is not the work that the god does which is the defining character of a
divinity."

"The more you become self-sufficient, the more also you become divine; and
conversely, the more you are divine, the more you are self-sufficient. It is
not necessary for you to ask for anything in this world if divinity
adequately manifests itself from yourself. Mere existence is God, and mere
existence also is any kind of divinity which is a particle of this divine
existence operating everywhere."

"There are only three things that are apparent to our vision in this world.
Everything is distant (everything is away and far from me); everything is in
some time and not always, and everything is separate from the other things.
This is called "desha-kala-vastu-pariccheda" in the ancient philosophic
terminology, a conditioning by space-time and individuality. Due to this
involvement of perception in such threefold categories, we begin to look
upon God as an infinitely inaccessible, transcendent, extra-cosmic creator."

To me personally, the chapter of this book titled Vedas and Upanishad's
helped clarify the idea of a single Creator beyond His own Creation, while
extolling His very presence in each individual. If we start looking upon the
concept of God as getting progressively closer to ones own "being", I think
the apparent duality of God being outside vs. inside can be resolved. There
is no ego trip here.
Also, God's apparent wielding of power is in no way a definitive feature of
"God-hood". It never was a criterion for being a God that He exhibit
superlative powers.

Hope this helps.

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.