[Advaita-l] Re: SS biography in English

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 10:51:07 CDT 2005

Dear Sri Bhaskar,

The point is not whether exact words like rogue or charlatan have been
used. It's best not to get sidetracked by such semantic jugglery. You
can call a person a thief or say that he took something which did not
belong to him. The meaning implied in both cases is exactly the same.
The latter may however sound a bit more pleasing to the ears as it is
not a direct accusation like using the word thief. That is certainly a
plus point, but only for people who are more interested in form than
the substance. But I think as confirmed advaitins we should place
substance over form!

The stuff below is from http://www.m-w.com

malicious - derived from malice

malice:

1 : desire to cause pain, injury, or distress to another
2 : intent to commit an unlawful act or cause harm without legal
justification or excuse

Rogue:

1 : VAGRANT, TRAMP
2 : a dishonest or worthless person : SCOUNDREL
3 : a mischievous person : SCAMP
4 : a horse inclined to shirk or misbehave
5 : an individual exhibiting a chance and usually inferior biological variation

Clearly there is quite a bit of overlap in the meanings if not an
exact correspondence. See #2 in both.

Whether this is Mr Gangollis own line of thought or inherited from SS,
is open to speculation, and in my opinion no meaningful discussion can
be conducted on this topic.

The interesting point however is that this is published by the kaaryaalaya.

Rama