[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 28, Issue 5

hemang Chamakuzhi Subramanian hemangcs at rediffmail.com
Tue Aug 9 12:36:34 CDT 2005

Can someone say where in the Vedas, Upanishads, Samkhyas, UpaVedas, Puranas, Mahabharatha, Ramayana, Yoga-Vasistha, Tripura Rahasya, is it said the following
">have to cast away their yagnopaveethas even if they were brahmins by
>birth.Caste of a person went by his birth."

Is there any discussion in today's world about who are the "Brahmins"?

    Do these concepts hold, or are we still fighting on some ancient concepts of castes..of which our country may have a few million....

  If we go by the defenition from the "Bhagavad Gita" of Varnashrama, All the worlds software engineers or hi-tech workers are Shudras. The only defenition of a Brahmin that I've seen in all the epics is from the Mahabharatha where the Yaksha asks Dharmaraja "What are the characterstics of a Brahmin?"

One more doubt "Is it necessary to wear the Yagnopaveetam before chanting the Rudram or chamakam?".