[Advaita-l] Re: Moksha (Badisa)

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 16:52:30 CDT 2005

--- ramesh badisa <badisa66 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> " Equally important it is to understand that KNOWLEDGE (a
> complete
> understanding and assimilation of the meaning of the
> Mahavakyas) is
> capable of erasing the Karmaphalas and the attainment of
> MOKSHA"
>
> Badisa: Karma is said to be of three types. The sanchita karma
> is the one accumulated from past lives. Agama karma is that we
> are earning in this life with various activities. A part of
> sanchita karma, given in this life as prarabdha karma (PK) is
> the one we are facing now in this life.
>

> Upon realization of divine nature of atma, all sachita karma
> is annihilated to zero. That is, the reservoir of karma is
> gone by the dawn of gyan, and this is where Lord Krishna says
> Gyan agni sarva karmani
 Gita 4/37. For such a gyani, there
> is no agama karma, as all activities are done with
> selflessness. But, he still faces the fruits of PK. It means
> that dawn of knowledge cannot remove the PK. Then, how long
> gyani will face? Till they are exausted. Then, what will
> happen to him? He will die and then attains the absolute
> moksha.
>
> In summary, dawn of knowledge makes the gyani free from all
> sanchita karmas. But PK still clings to him.

The above statements are thoroughly false. The GYAnI is free of
ALL KARMA, not just of one kind.

To quote from an old posting already discussed in this list:

http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/1996-June/005270.html

---------------------------
While I understand what you are trying to explain, here is what
Ramana Maharshi says (page 422 of Talks):

The scriptures say that jnana is the fire which burns away all
karma (sarvakarmani). Sarva (all) is interpreted in two way :
(1) to include prarabhda (2) to exclude it. In the first way :
if a man with three wives dies, it is asked, "Can two of them be
called widows and the third not?" All are widows. So it is with
prarabdha, agami and sanchita. When there is no karta none of
them can hold out any longer.

        The second explanation is, however, given only to
satisfy the enquirer. It is said that all karma is burnt away
leaving prarabdha alone. The body is said to continue in the
functions for which it has taken birth. That is prarabdha. But
from the jnani's point of view, there is only Self which
manifests in such variety. There is no body or karma apart from
Self, so that the actions don't affect him.

> It means that
> KNOWLEDGE is not capabale of erasing all karmaphalas. So, the
> state of gyani is not called salvation in absolute sense but
> only realization that "he" is "him".
>
> Namaste
>
> Badisa

namaste,