[Advaita-l] Science and Vedantha

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 00:03:03 CST 2005

Namaste

> I (almost) agree. This does show that the greatest thinkers cannot (at
> least as yet) "infer" the existance of "Higher Reality". . Still, this is
> not a logical proof that "Higher Reality
> cannot be inferred based on mental effort alone", although both you
> and I suspect so. Yes, vedAnta says so (that mental effort is not
> enough), but if we use that as an assumption then we are not talking
> about proofs, we are talking about faith. The question itself is
> whether faith is an absolute requirement or not.:-)

I am sorry to disagree here. That great minds of this human race have not
been able to do so even to this day of Wednesday 30th November 2005 is proof
enough for me that such things cannot be inferred or guessed at. Also you
say "What can be inferred is that "there are some things that are true but
cannot be inferred"". This just gets into an "infinite loop" if I have your
meaning right.

> There are some who believe that the the question of ultimate reality
> is just the sum total of all posable questions. If this definition is
> assumed, then yes, logic proves that logic is not enough to infer
> ultimate reality. But then again we have to justify the basis of our
> belief that ultimate reality is the sum total.

Well such a "reality" is really a bunch of thoughts. Vedanta asks us to look
for the very source of such thoughts!

> I keep my trust in science because it has a history of defining its
> own limits, which is very respectable. Maybe one day science will
> itself say "If there is an ultimate reality, science cannot infer it
> completely". But till then all doubts must be treated with respect
> (atleast among those of us who conscientiously use science in our
> lives). Till then science and vedAnta don't put forth any mutual
> contradictions in my mind, both are useful in two very different
> planes, and both can even aid us in the quest for the other to some
> extent.

That we are getting "doubts" is proof enough that we are on the right path!

Regards,
Abhishek

--
Aditya Varun Chadha
adichad AT gmail.com

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

--
bhava Sankara deSika me saraNam

sadASiva samArambham SankaracArya madhymam
asmadAcArya paryantam vande guru paramparam