[Advaita-l] Re: Re: Love molecule

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 5 22:17:48 CST 2005

>Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya,
>
>   We should not downgrade the modern gurus too. Even Shri Ramakrishna
>Paramhamsa said that a time will come very soon when people would
>understand Vedanta in a single day. It is because of the modern outlook
>that the people as well as the new age gurus are having. Not all
>traditionally trained gurus are enlightened. gurus.
>
>   Regards
>
>   Sunil Bhattacharjya

Please note that this is why I said "most new-age gurus" in my post, and I
think Amuthan also chose his words carefully when he said "traditionally
trained vidvAn" (not jnAnI). No one is claiming that being traditionally
trained is a guarantee of being enlightened, but I do claim that it is very
critical to really understanding advaita vedAnta, if you are interested in
genuine advaita vedAnta. Not everybody is a Ramana Maharshi who did not need
rigrous traditional grounding and who discovered and later explicitly stated
that his experience was in tune with traditional vedAnta. Not all that calls
itself advaita vedAnta nowadays is necessarily advaita vedAnta. Tradition
has its advantages in keeping away the dilletante and it has evolved its own
sysem of checks and balances. You will notice that traditional advaitins
also respect Ramana Maharshi, even though he was never formally part of the
tradition. On the other hand, the fact that Ramana stands outside the
tradition leads to a situation where half of the new age self-proclaimed
advaitins claim some direct or once-removed link to Ramana Maharshi,
precisely because they know that there is no strong traditional
representative to confront them about their claim to fame in this regard.

I agree with Sanjay, that many modern new-age gurus should simply stop
claiming to be gurus. It is a misuse of the Indian tradition(s). And I also
think that most tradition-minded Indians are intuitively sceptical of the
accomplishments of even traditional sannyAsins and they evaluate the
traditional gurus all the time, whereas the typical European/American who is
interested in spirituality and the typical modern educated Indian exhibit a
high degree of naivete when it comes to self-proclaimed new age gurus. It
often leads to very cultish behavior and all its associated problems.

My rule of thumb in whom to watch out for today and avoid, whether new-age
or with some link to tradition: one who is highly articulate and consciously
uses it to advantage for self-promotion, one who has an active and public
media presence with a public relations factory (glossy magazines, flashy
websites and followers among the rich and famous), one who is constantly on
world tours, one who organizes "retreats" in expensive and exotic locales,
with exorbitant fees, one who claims to have been enlightened by a mere look
or touch from someone else, one who got initiation in some mantra and/or a
new initiate name directly from God/Goddess in a dream, and finally if s/he
is from India, one who is on a "mission to the West" (too many wannabe
Vivekananda-s out there) or else, one who does not care about the West but
is involved head over heels in Indian politics.

These are signs that activate my antennae and I daresay others may or may
not agree with them. Also of course, someone who satisifies one or more or
even all of the above criteria may still be the genuine article, but I would
look for other signs that prove the genuineness. The probability is high
that s/he is either a deliberate con-artist or someone who had a brief
moment of epiphany but subsequently got caught up in a mAyAjAla of their own
making.

Regards,
Vidyasankar