[Advaita-l] Re: What is Rashtreeya Marga?

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 27 15:03:48 CST 2005

>I remember reading about Rashtreeya Marga, a tradition  that was started by
>Madhava Vidyaranya of Vijayanagara fame and recently I noticed  that Smt.
>Padma Subramaniam was instrumental in reviving that tradition, what is this
>tradition all about?

>From the reference to Padma Subramaniam, I can only infer that this has
something to do with Bharatanatyam dance. In which case, the connection to
Advaita Vedanta would be tenuous at best, while the attribution to
Vidyaranya would be highly doubtful. I have the same skepticism about a
musicological text called sangIta sAra, also attributed to Vidyaranya. After
all, Vidyaranya need not have written about every activity in the court of
Vijayanagara.

A general note of caution - The 20th century has been especially fecund in
"reviving" and "rediscovering" so many things in various Indian traditions.
In many of these cases, I wonder how and why none of the transmitters of the
said traditions (whether religion or philosophy or music or dance) seem to
have had any knowledge of them between the 15th and 19th centuries. More
often than not, the supposed revivals cite texts that have been "lost,"
although parts of them seem to be mysteriously available to a select few.

Regards,
Vidyasankar