[Advaita-l] RE: Yoga - aparOkshAnubhUti - Vedanta Sara

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 2 14:34:32 CST 2005

>Incidentally, I've been engaged in discussion on the same subject in
>advaitin list (patanjala yOga in shankara's advaita vEdAnta).  Sofar what I
>gathered from this thread seems to say that patanjala yOga sUtra-s are more
>or less in line with shankara pratipAdita siddhAnta.  I'd like to have more
>clarity on this subject.

There is a little bit of revisionism in this stand. We modern people seem to
have imbibed a propensity to "go back to the sources" from 19th and 20th
century European-American academia. In the process, we tend to ignore the
long line of commentary and tradition. Or even worse, we tend to assume that
we know better what the original author/text meant while the commentators
did not. To say the least, this is mistaken. To castigate this attitude, it
can only be described as intellectual hubris.

Anyway, when we think of the classical darzana of Yoga, we mean not only
pAtanjala yogasUtras, but we also think of the bhAshya on it and the
subsidiary texts. Nowhere in the yogasUtras or in its bhAshya is there
anything to establish the oneness and non-duality of brahman. The system
talks of prakRti and purushas, and considers Izvara as a special kind of
purusha (purusha-vizesha), one who is not bound by entanglement with
prakRti. Philosophically, it differs from sAMkhya primarily in that respect,
as sAMkhya does not allow for Izvara as a special kind of purusha. In all
other respects, Yoga thought is very much indebted to traditional sAMkhya
and therefore the classical Yoga system is also a dualism only. The
yogasUtra talks of svarUpa-pratishThA (abiding in one's own nature) as the
final aim and goal, but it does not say that this svarUpa is the nondual
brahman.

That said, is it possible to reconcile and adopt yoga thought and practice
to Advaita Vedanta thought and practice? The answer is yes, and Sankaracarya
himself does so, in many places. His criticism of Yoga darzana extends only
to the dualism in the system. There are at least two places in brahmasUtra
bhAshya where he extols the results of Yoga practice and quotes yogasUtra
with approval. Under brahmasUtra 1.3.33 - bhAvaM tu bAdarAyaNo'sti hi -
Sankaracarya says one cannot merely dismiss the powers attained by yoga and
quotes yogasUtra 2. 44 - svAdhyAyAd ishTadevatA saMprayogaH. Under
brahmasUtra 2.4.12 - pancavRttir manovad vyapadizyate - he quotes yogasUtra
1.6 - pramANa-viparyaya-vikalpa-nidrA-smRtayaH, to identify the five vRttis
of the mind. He prefaces this quotation with the statement,"paramatam
apratishiddham anumataM bhavati" - what is not refuted in another system is
effectively accepted. Thus, he makes it clear that the classical Yoga
derived from the yogasUtras is a different system from Vedanta (paramata),
but he also explicitly accepts whatever is not in conflict with Vedanta.
Nowhere does Sankaracarya say that pAtanjala yogasUtras are very much in
line with Advaita Vedanta. To claim otherwise, more than a millenium later,
is to misunderstand both the yogasUtras and Sankaracarya himself.

>As regards to yOga in advaita & patanjali's yOga sUtra's influence in
>shankara bhAshya, my cybernet guruji Sri Vidyashankara Sundareshan prabhuji
>( Chief Moderator of this group) has written a masterful article...I dont
>know whether it is available in the filing section...In this article he has

Bhaskar-ji, please do not put me in the position of a guru, even if only in
cyberland. With it comes much responsibility, which I don't think I can
shoulder. Moreover, you are now studying under well qualified and learned
paNDitas, so I can at best be an upAdhyAya, maybe. Also, we don't formally
have a chief moderator of this list, but if anyone can be called that, it is
Jaldhar, for he consistenly dedicates more hours per day to this duty than
anybody else among us moderators.

I have indeed written a major article on yoga in classical Advaita, which is
a chapter in a book edited by Ian Whicher and David Carpenter, published by
Routledge press. For copyright reasons, I can't distribute it publicly on a
mailing list or a website, but I can send reprints/photocopies to interested
readers. Do let me know by private email, if so, with postal address and
I'll mail it out.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar