[Advaita-l] In Rig-veda Agni Deva, the Fire, is Brahman

sri parasukhananda nadha sriparasukhanandanadha at rediffmail.com
Sun Feb 6 10:27:03 CST 2005

                 Swatmabandhu sri Siddharthaji,

          I am highly impressed with your scholarly articles in the advitaL groop messages and understand your burning quest to know about the real knowledgr.  I read your articles on the Sun and the fire, depicting them as Brahmam.

         But in my opinion, none with a name and form can be given the status of Brahmam instantly, although every particle of the world is not different from the Brahmam.

         The Fire, as I know is the symbol of darkness in vedantha, and was placed in the lower Amedhya chakraas.  It is the place for all the worldly pleasures and mostly belongs to the aasuree pravritti..  The agnimandala represents to the Adholokaas which are called Andhataamisra.  These chakraas are also called as Siva Chakraas.
“Chaturasraprakritikam Siva Chakra chatushtayathmakam.”  This Agni is considered as Rudra. Himself.  “AgnirVay Rudrah”  Rudra is a god who makes every one cry and weep by immersing one in the samsaara and compels him to immerse in the worldly pleasures and suffer eternally. “Sahasraani sahasraso ye rudraa adhibhoomyaam-
theShagum sahasra yojane avadhanvaanithanmasi.”  Unless the  Rudra is associated with the Sakthi he does deserve to be honoured at all.  He can not be called Siva.

           Agni is also called Jaathavedah.  Jaathavedasi is Durga.  “Jaathavedase sunavaama somam”.  She is the nectar or the Water.  Both these water and Fire are an inseparable duel like Siva and Parvathi,  “Apsu jyothih pratishthitam”  “ “JyoteenShyaapah pratisthithaah”, “Adhbhyo agnih”.  We cant say which is first in the evolution.
“Yopaamaayatanam veda aayatanavaan bhavathi
 agnirva apaamaayatanam aayathanavaan bhavathi
 yo agneraayathanam veda aayathanavaan bhavathi
 aapova agneraayathanam aayathanavan bhavathi
 ya evam veda||”
Manthrapushpam says that agni resides in the waters and the waters reside in the agni
Those who know this secret, they alone will attain mukthi.
In Arunam it is said—
“Ashrutaa sashrutaa sascha yajwaano ye apyajwanah
 swaryantho naapyapekshatha indramagnincha ye viduh
sikathaa iva samyanthi rasmibhih samudeerithaa
asmaallokaadamusha chyetyapahaarunikee srutih||”

                 We have to meditate upon both the agni and water together in a combined form and not separately.  Here Indra means the lord of waters. If you say Agni is Brahma,  it can not be the truth.

                 In the same way, the Sun god also cannot be considered as Brahma.  The Sun is not a reality at all.  It is the admixture of  ”agneeshomathmakam” and having no individuality at all.  The golden coloured rays of the Agni (having the nature of rising upwards) while ascending towards the moon, and the white silvery rays of the moon decending downwards, both met and mixed up in the Chathurdasa bhuvanaatmaka chaturdasaara chakra and formed as a round circle there.  It is described in sreesuuktha as “Suvarna rajatha srajaam”.  Just as the universe of the fourteen worlds is considered as Midhyaa, this Sun also should be considered as Midhya.

                 Have you ever seen any authority in vedaas that the rays of the sun going to the moon?  The vedaas recognized the moon only as Swayamprakasaka. And not the Sun god at all.  The Sun represents the universe which is Jada, cannot be  equelled with the Brahman.

                 Please excuse me if my analysis is wrong.

Sriparasukhanandanadha.