[Advaita-l] Dharma Shastra & its applicability

Stig Lundgren slu at bredband.net
Mon Feb 7 04:00:35 CST 2005

Dear Bhaskarji
pranams,

You wrote:

> explanation shastra-s can give in this regard??  As we know, well known
> sanyAsi-s like vivEkAnanda, Swamy rAmathIrtha, prabhupAda, dayAnaNda
> saraswati of Arsha vidyA etc. etc. have crossed sea to do dharma

Sannyasis crossing the ocean is something happening also in strictly
orthodox circles nowadays. Here are a few examples regarding Sringeri
peetham and mathas affiliated with Sringeri peetham.

For instance, Swami Nithyananda Bharati of Sringeri Peetham has been to the
West several times, and I have seen pictures of him among Western devotees
in Holland (Europe) in 2003. Swami Nithyananda is (or was a year ago) the
only resident Swami in Sringeri, apart from H.H. Jagadguru Bharati Tirtha
Swamigal of course. He is a great devotee of H.H. and is very close to H.H.
The activities oversead of Swami Nithyananda have recieved the blessings of
H.H.

The junior swami at the Kamakshi-Sharada peetham at Hebbur (near Bangalore)
was actually living in the USA prior to sannyasa. And when the senior swami
at Hebbur asked the Sringeri H.H. Jagadguru for help finding a successor,
then H.H. acutally recommended this young swamiji, in spite of the fact that
he had lived in the West. Moreover, he took sannyasa at Sringeri peetham.

Also in the days of H.H. Jagadguru Abhinava Vidyatirtha Swamigal a sannyasi
by the name of Swami Narayanananda Bharati (who was the head of Nelamau math
in Karnataka) visited USA and Russia with the blessings of H.H.

The former shankaracharya of Chitrapur math, Swami Parijnanashram, traveled
to the West in the 1970's. On the webpage of Chitrapur math there is a
lecture held by Swami Parijnanashram in Toronto, Canada in august 1979.

One of the the editorial consultants of Tattvaloka (Sringeri magazine),
Swami Yogananda Saraswati, is a frenchman by birth and hence a Westerner. He
is residing in his ashram (Kaivalya ashram) near Paris (France) and is
closely affiliated with Sringeri peetham. He have recieved the blessings of
H.H. Jagadguru on several occasions.

Warmest regards
Stig Lundgren