[Advaita-l] Is the notion of an ISvara compatible with advait a?

praveen.r.bhat at exgate.tek.com praveen.r.bhat at exgate.tek.com
Mon Feb 14 08:17:40 CST 2005

praNAm,

(sorry for the earlier message!)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Amuthan Arunkumar R wrote:

> as far as i understand, according to advaita vedAnta,
> jN.Ana and karma don't go together, i.e, once the
> brahman is realized mAyA no longer exists.

Jaldharji:
I think the problem is maya often gets translated as illusion which
suggests it doesn't really exist when it is more correct to say it is a
lower order of reality.

praveen:
May I also humbly add that a beginner's book "What is Advaita?"
by P Sankaranarayan neatly explains that translating mAyA as illusion
is inappropriate and the author also explains why.

jai bajrangabali,
--praveeN