[Advaita-l] Re: Is an ISvara compatible with advaita?

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 12:13:13 CST 2005

I think you should know that advaita VedAnta upholds a 3-fold
logical system when it comes to explaining the duality of the
world.

Real : Brahman
Unreal: Jagat
anirvachanIya ("Indescribable", neither real nor unreal): avidyA

For this very reason, many get confused when starting to study
advaita, and their initial questions "prove" that advaita does
not fit into a 2-fold logical system. Shankara does not himself
talk about this 3-fold system, this is from the work of later
advaitins.

-Kartik