[Advaita-l] Question on a short suurya namaskaaram

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 14:22:28 CST 2005

Thanks very much Ravi for the info.

I also found this link

http://members.aol.com/zoticus/bathlib/helios/vedic.htm

where he says:

"Into the parrots, into the thrush do we put thy jaundice,
and, furthermore, into the yellow wagtail (haridravas)
do we put thy jaundice. "

It seems part of this also occurs in the atharva veda. Of course
harmimANam is the accusative of hariman. Perhaps it also means
jaundice. Any idea how harimA is derived. hari is yellowness in color,
but how to interpret hari + mA?

This reminded me that mantra (2) is recited with bIja mantras like
hrAm, hrIM etc, in some order and is published as suurya
namaskaara-kaplaH in some texts. It is done before the arurNa prashna
suurya namaskaaram. Apparently the tantrika bhaskararaaya was
suffering some skin ailment in kaashi and alleviated his suffering by
using these mantras.

Further more in my mail of more than 30 lines or so, 2 lines
refererred to the aruNa prashna. I sincerely apologize to literalist
interpreters who will use a mantra only literally. Apparently **na**
ekam sat, vipraa bahudhaa vadanti !!  The other shorter namaskaara I
quoted directly addresses suurya everywhere. We have a way of
digressing (advaita list) which is quite astounding.

Rama