[Advaita-l] acceptance of older students into gurukulam forlearning vedas etc.

abhishek rk smartie_625 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 22:30:14 CST 2005

Namaste,
This is my first mail to this list. I come from a
family of Telugu Smarthas. Our patronym is Shastri. My
forefathers were priests in the Mysore Palace. Since
the last 4 generations we are settled in Bangalore. I
had practically no idea about Vedanta till about 1
year ago when I came across a book by Swami
Vivekananda. Before this I went through Iskcon and
Dvaita also. Since then I have read few Upanishads,
the Gita and few other books especialy "Hindu Dharma".
I do Sandhya vandana daily.

I enjoyed the inspiring discusions about the advaita
traditions in the archives.

I read the below mail by Jaldhar Vyas. Could anyone
please give me information about vidvans in Bangalore
(South Bangalore ideally) to teach me veda? Classes on
saturday and sunday would be suitable. I will be free
from Jan 31st onwards.

Thanks a lot,
Abhishek

From: Jaldhar H. Vyas
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:30:53

Why should it?  Study of the shastras is the duty of
every Brahmana and it
is better done late than never.  It is better to learn
as a boy because
memorization is easier.  So you may be better off
finding a tutor rather
than entering some institution.  Plus that way you can
also financially
support some vidvan.

Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org