[Advaita-l] RE: Jaimini's mimamsa sutras

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 09:53:36 CST 2005

--- venkata subramanian <venkat_advaita at yahoo.com> wrote:

> is it sure that the Purva Mimasa does not mention anything about
> doing Vedic Karma without being concerned for its fruit ?
>
> Does not anywhere Bhagawan Shabara mention about this ?

Thanks for the question. I guess I should have clarified that I have
not personally come across a statement in mImAmsA about the practice of
dharma without concern for its fruit, that's all.

But from what I know: pUrva mImAmsA distinguishes right action (dharma)
from wrong action (adharma), but does not distinguish right action
performed without regard for the results (sAttvika karma) and the same
right action performed with an eye on the reward (rAjasika karma).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to know the context of the quote and why
the distinction is propounded, since the mImAmsaka does not have any
reason for believing in such a distinction.

Thanks,

Kartik