[Advaita-l] Do Hindus have self-respect?

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 16:20:45 CST 2005

--- "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

> > In India, that's quite all right, but not so in the West.
>
> Kartik, I must take you task for this insult to what are overall some
> of
> the most tolerant and generous people in the world.

My experience was limited to Texas, where people are neither as
conservative as the south-east, nor as liberal as the north of the US.
I haven't tried doing the same thing in California where I now live,
maybe the experience would be quite different. But I do agree that
Americans in general are very tolerant people.

I had no problems when I visited Malaysia, since most of the Hindu
population there walk freely with the tripunDra everywhere, and the
locals understand the custom well.

-Kartik