[Advaita-l] Food habits

Sankaran Aniruddhan ani at ee.washington.edu
Tue Jan 25 16:14:51 CST 2005

namaste,

>The contradiction is in these verses:
>MS 5.35: "Consecrated meat (i.e. meat from a YaGYa) should be eaten."
>MS 5.52: "Unconsecrated meat (i.e. meat not from a YaGYa) should not be
>eaten."
>MS 5.56: "There is no fault in meat-eating...but abstinence bears great
>fruit."
>
>Note that the meat that is being referred to in MS 5.56 can be neither
>consecrated nor unconsecrated.

Kartik, can MS 5.56 be interpreted in the following way (I have added
modifiers in "()" braces):

"There is no fault in eating (consecrated) meat (this is mentioned
explicitly so that people don't get misled by MS 5.52). However,
abstinence (in performing a kAmya yajna that involves animal sacrifice)
bears great fruit..."

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam