[Advaita-l] BG 2.45: nirguNa or saguNa?

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 08:37:06 CDT 2005

Pranams:

Another point of view on this verse could be that even a Jivan mukta
occasionally "slips" down to a pure Sattvic state in order to live in the
world and Krishna is exhorting Arunja to be established in this state. Swami
Krishnananda in "Philosophy of the Pachadasi", pp84 writes:

 "An illumined soul has a deep consciousness whereby there arises an
occasional feeling of the body and the world, simultaneously with the
constant feeling that s/he is the Atman. This is possible due to his/her
being in a state of Sattva, where there is a clear discernment of the
presence of the original universality, though the limitation of the
reflection is also felt together. Hence, while referring to bodily actions,
the knower refers to the lower 'I' or Chidabhasa [i.e. Atman reflected in
Sattvika Buddhi] and when feeling that s/he is the Absolute, s/he makes
reference to the higher "I", or Kutastha".

Regards, Mahesh