[Advaita-l] logic and shastra

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:24:40 CDT 2005

Pranams:
 > Logical arguments are subsidiary to scriptural statements.
 Agreed completely. But there is the question of what a scriptural statement
actually says, isn't there? Every statement interpreted by one school is
refuted with 'logic' by another, each considering for reasons of their own
theirs to be the 'Truth'. So, in effect you don't really have a ground in
which to say what a scriptural statement actually means!
 > Even if a scriptural statement has no logical basis at all it is still a
pramana
> (valid means of knowledge) by the fact of being Shruti.
 The current Dalai Lama has gone on record to say that the Buddhist
scriptures can be thrown away if any of their truths are proved wrong by
science, however dear they may be to him. So, did the great Buddha say - do
not take me as a God but question every thing I tell you and reject it if it
doesn't agree with reason. Would you hold Shruti as fact even if 'proved'
invalid by science?
 >> Here is the actual Sanskrit of Shankaracharyas' bhashya:

>> advaitam kimAgamamAtreNa pratipattavyaM aahosvittarkeNApItyata aaha
>> shakyate tarkeNApi GYAtum | tatkathamityadvaitaprakaraNamArabhyate |
 Humble prostrations. Both for your having read this book and for letting me
know that such books are available for the general public. Can you possibly
point me to a place in Mumbai where I can get such treasures (in English
only)?
 Humble pranams, Mahesh